Wednesday 11 June 2008

My Favourite Uncle

My uncle made a surprise visit today from SA... I can't even remember the last time I saw him... it would have been over 5 years now. My dad, Uncle Sno, his friend, Matt and I went to Hog's Breath for dinner and I am typing this exhausted and so full I will have to roll to bed tonight!

When I was really young... as in primary school young I went to Uncle Sno's 50th birthday party and gave him a stationery set that I made at school. We cut slits in paper and weaved crate paper through the holes and decorated it. I, for some unknown reason gave it to my uncle for his birthday... I am not sure if he has ever written a letter! Anyway, letter writer or not, he, to my surprise loved the gift and said that he was going to show it to me in 20 years. Well, 20 years later he still has it would you believe... its in his draw at home! When Dad called tonight and I said we should go to dinner I thought that I would make him a card, give it to him and see what he says... he said "Oh! you made this?... I still have my 50th birthday present you made! I'm going to show you this in 20 years!". He said when we said goodbye after dinner that he is going to mail me the card when he turns 90.... and I bet he does!

3 comments:

Alhambra Club said...

What a wonderful story, love the card

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story!! and this is an absolutely gorgeous card!!! My Nan keeps everything I make her and stores them in a box so they will come back to me ....later (as she puts it!!)

Caroline
xx

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

That's one wonderful Uncle you have, Amy! I like the card, too.